Wednesday, January 18, 2017

New Year's resolutions

I made three New Year's resolutions.

1. Cook more. I enjoy cooking, and I enjoy feeding my family. The problem has been a lack of planning on my part - making sure I have the groceries and time to put a meal together.

2. Use my cool kitchen gadgets and appliances more often. I love gadgets and appliances that help make cooking easier or more fun. And I have plenty of them. But again, it's just a matter of planning.

3. Write more blog posts. No explanation needed.

I've done well with two of these. Sunday evening, I made honey chicken in my slow cooker, a loaf of bread in my breadmaker and arborio rice in my rice cooker. So which resolution do you think has gotten the short end of the stick?!

Biscuit went back to school Jan. 4 after two weeks of winter break. Then that weekend, it snowed, and he was out of school Monday through Wednesday of that next week. Then Monday of this week was a holiday, so since the beginning of the new year, he's been to school a total of 7 days.

Thankfully, Jeff and I can both work from home when we need to. We usually try to take turns. And Monday, Biscuit went to work with us. We take the portable DVD player and his tablet. When he gets bored, he walks around and visits with people.

One lady at work said, "I mean this in the most complimentary way possible, but do you know how some work places have therapy dogs ..."

I started laughing because I realized that she was calling my kid a therapy dog!

"Don't laugh," she said. "He walks around and talks to everybody, and when he walks away from their desk, they always have a smile on their face." 

A couple of other people agreed. And as weird as it sounds, that makes me proud of my boy.

There are a couple of people in our office who don't like kids, and couple who don't like much of anything! But they like our boy. I think it's because talking to him is like having a conversation with a 58-year-old! I swear, that boy has been around one time before.

Biscuit came home Tuesday with homework, and it was a real struggle to get everything done. We had gotten used to being on a loose schedule, so this week, we're trying to find our rhythm again.

So far, so good.

No comments: