Friday, January 20, 2017

Happy retirement!

A work friend of mine retired today. And I'm pretty sad about it. It's always hard to see people leave, whether they retire or move on to other positions, but it's especially hard when it's someone you enjoy spending time with.

When I would get fed up with whatever I was working on, I would walk down to her office, and we'd talk about movies or TV or books or more often than not, Biscuit.

When Biscuit did something that I thought was cool or fun or smart, I'd go share it with her. I would usually start my story with, "I know I can brag to you about my boy without you thinking I'm being one of those moms ..." She doesn't have any grandkids of her own, so I told her she could claim Biscuit as hers. And she let me brag as much as I wanted.

And she reads this blog. And she's already told me that I have to get on the stick and write more often, especially now that she's retired.

Her job was as our librarian. She did research and made sure our stories and photos were archived for future use (and a bunch of other things, too). So Biscuit calls her "The Library Girl."

So when I picked him up from school today, he asked how I was doing, and I told him I was a little sad because my friend was leaving. I called her by name, and Biscuit said, "You're talking about The Library Girl, right?"

"Yes," I told him. "But she's going to come have lunch with me sometimes, so I'll still see her."

"Will I ever see her again?" he asked.

"We'll make sure that you do," I told him.

So if you're reading this, you're definitely on the hook for lunch with me and a date with Biscuit. Happy retirement!

No comments: