Sunday, September 4, 2016

Out of the mouth of my babe

Where in the world did the rest of the week go?! 

Biscuit seems to be getting settled back into a routine at school. He's met a couple of new friends and has gotten reacquainted with a few old ones (a couple that Jeff and I think he could do without!).

I'll share more later about school, but for tonight, here are a few things Biscuit has said recently:


What's in a name? Biscuit was playing with some of his action figures. I think he was playing Indiana Jones, but he switches and swaps between that and Star Wars and superheroes and all those other things that it's hard to remember who belongs with whom and what's going on!

So last week, he was explaining a character, and here's what he told me:

"Well, this guy's name is Shotgun. He has a pistol and a machine gun and a rifle ... but oddly enough, he doesn't have a shotgun."

He was dead serious. I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing, and chances are, he wouldn't have even realized what I was laughing about.


Then and now: When Biscuit was at my parents' house this summer, he and his Papa were watching one of the funny video shows. He was telling me how funny it was when this guy was climbing on something and fell.

Biscuit always loves hearing stories about when he was younger, so I had to remind him about how he used to feel about those video shows.

"When you were little, you didn't like those shows at all," I told Biscuit.

"Why not?" he asked.

"I don't know," I told him, but when someone fell or got hurt, you would start crying, saying, 'No hurt. No hurt.'"

"Mom, I think I was just crazy when I was younger," Biscuit said.


Trick question: I love and hate when Biscuit asks weird questions out of the blue. I love them because it means he's thinking about things. But I hate them because sometimes the questions I have to answer are too hard!

But as we were driving home from school the other day, he asked one that wasn't too bad.

"Mom, do computers know everything?" Biscuit asked

"They know a lot, but no, they don't know everything," I told him.

"But what if I asked Siri what 1 million times 1 million is?" Biscuit asked.

"She could tell you the answer to that, but that's just a math problem," I explained. "There are lots of things that computers and Siri don't know."

"Can you give me an example?" Biscuit asked.

"Hold the button down on my phone until Siri asks if she can help you," I told him. "Then say to her, 'Siri, what is my middle name?'"

"Mom!" Biscuit said. "That's a silly question."

"You might think it's a silly question, but I bet you a dollar that if you ask her, she won't know," I told him.

So Biscuit held the button down and asked the question.

Siri answered, "Here is the contact information for Kim."

"See?" I told Biscuit. "Not only does she not know your middle name, but she thinks you're me!"

And Biscuit giggled.

No comments: