Monday, September 12, 2016

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:


Flossing skills: Biscuit has been brushing his own teeth for several years now, but he's just never gotten the hang of flossing. And since I wanted it done well, I've still been doing it for him.

But I figured it was about time for him to step up and learn to do it for himself. So I talked to him about it.

"You need to be able to floss your teeth yourself," I told him. "That way, when you're spending the night at somebody else's house, you can floss your own teeth."

Biscuit made a face at my suggestion, so I got a little more stern.

"Dude," I said. "It's something you're going to do, so you might as well get started learning."

I could tell by the look on his face that Biscuit was prepared to spout out a string of excuses. But instead, he took a different approach and tried to flatter me.

"Mom," Biscuit said in this sweet little voice, "I haven't learned to do it because flossing is your experty." 

He meant to say "expertise," but I wish I could've taken a picture of his face. And if he uses that face on any future girlfriends, I'll have to kill him!


Making friends: When Biscuit started summer camp this year, I asked him if he'd be okay not knowing anyone there.

And in typical Biscuit fashion, he assured me that it wouldn't be a problem.

"I'll just make some new friends, Mom," Biscuit said.

"So how do you plan to do that?" I asked him.

"Well, you just walk up to somebody and introduce yourself," he said. "Then you give them some niceness. Then you ask them if they want to be your friend. If they say yes, then BOOM! you have a new friend. And if they say no, you just try again on somebody else."

"That's a very good process," I told him.


Ready to go: Biscuit spent two different weeks with my parents this summer. I've mentioned it before, but they live in the country, so he gets to do things there that he can't do where we live.

We got everything together and started taking his stuff to the car. 

He got to the front door with his arms full and realized that he couldn't open the door. Jeff was standing right there, so in a completely serious voice, Biscuit said to Jeff, "Can you be a dear and get the door for me?"

"Sure," Jeff said, biting back a smile.

"At least he was polite," I told Jeff.

No comments: