Tuesday, February 23, 2016

A lesson learned ... hopefully

I had to teach Biscuit a hard lesson last night. Some people might say I was mean to him, but I hope I actually got through to him.

Biscuit and I went to his piano lesson, and he did a really good job, so I told him he could pick the restaurant for dinner.

"Mom," Biscuit said, "I'm not really in the mood to go to a restaurant. Can we just get some takeout and eat at home?"

"Sure," I said. "Let me call Dad and let him know."

I called Jeff, and he said he would pick up the food, and Biscuit and I could go pick up a few things at the store.

As we pulled into the parking lot, I explained the plan to Biscuit.

"Listen," I said, "we need to be quick about this. I have a list in my pocket of the things we need. We're going to go in, get our stuff and come right back out, okay? That means no books, no toys, no nothing except exactly what we need. Got it?"

"Yes," Biscuit said. "I understand."

We walked in a grabbed a buggy. I pulled out my list and a pen, and off we went.

Our list led us to the back aisle of the store, right between the books/movies section and the toy section. But I had explained the plan to Biscuit, so he knew we didn't have time for either, right?

Um, apparently not.

I was halfway past the toy section when I realized that Biscuit was not beside me anymore. I glanced back to see him walking down the Legos aisle.

Needless to say, I was not pleased.

I started to turn back and get him, but then I realized this could be a good teaching moment.

I started walking faster, and about three aisles away from Biscuit, I took a right onto the aisle with the computer printers. I stood there and stewed a couple of minutes, then decided to go back and see where Biscuit was.

When I turned back onto the main aisle, I saw Biscuit talking to two employees in red shirts. Then he turned his head, and I saw that he was crying. Man, that broke my heart. But my hope was the he realized how easily and how quickly we can get separated.

I got to where Biscuit and the two employees were standing, and Biscuit grabbed me around the waist.

"Where did you go?" I asked him. "You were right behind me."

He was crying, which made him stutter. "I-I-I got l-l-lost, M-m-mom."

"Well, you did the exact right thing by finding someone who worked here and asking for help," I told him.

I thanked the store employees, and Biscuit and I started walking toward the grocery section.

When we rounded the corner, I pulled Biscuit to the side so I could talk to him.

"We talked about this before we came into the store, remember?" I asked him. "I said no toys, but what did you do?"

"I went to the toys," Biscuit said, still crying.

"And what happened?" I asked him.

"I got lost," he said.

I hugged him against my side and said, "What would have happened if we had been somewhere really crowded? What if we were at a big music show or at the park and you walked away? How hard would it be for me to find you then?"

Biscuit nodded.

"I have no idea what I would do if I couldn't find you," I told Biscuit.

I really hated upsetting him, but I hope it was a lesson learned.

I came home and told Jeff about it. I mainly needed him to reassure me that what I did was okay.

"It was fine, Kimmy," he said. "It was a controlled environment and a good place to teach a lesson."

And it's a lesson that I hope sticks with Biscuit.

No comments: