Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:


Picking on the boy: "Dad, guess what I made?" Biscuit asked.

"What did you made?" Jeff asked, picking at Biscuit.

"Dad!" Biscuit said, exasperated. "I say 'made,' and you say, 'make.' It just makes more sense that way."


A new word: "Mom, I ate the majority of my beans," Biscuit said, "but I'm full now. Can I leave the rest?"

"What does 'majority' mean?" Jeff asked.

"It means 'more than half,' Dad" Biscuit said.

"How do you know that word?" Jeff asked.

"I learned it at school," Biscuit said. "We did a lesson about voting today. ... So ... I've eaten more than half. That's the majority."

"You ate enough," I said. "Go play."


Losing his religion: I did some reorganizing in Biscuit's room Sunday, and I cleaned out a few papers he had from the Sunday school class at Mama's church. I had made a little pile of papers on the footboard of Biscuit's bed.

Jeff walked into the room while I was working. "Can I help with anything?" he asked.

"Yes, you can throw away those papers," I said.

Jeff scooped up the papers and walked out.

It didn't occur to me to explain in specific details how to get rid of the papers. And that was my mistake. Jeff threw the papers in the small trashcan in the bathroom where Biscuit gets ready every single morning!

So of course, Biscuit walked in there Monday morning and saw the papers right on top.

"Dad! Dad!" Biscuit hollered. "Can you come in here ... right now?"

"What?" Jeff said.

"Dad, apparently, you don't have a problem with throwing away Jesus!" Biscuit said. And he was not happy.

"What do you mean?" Jeff asked.

"I worked really hard on this paper, and you just threw it away. And it's about Jesus. You just threw away Jesus."

Jeff picked up the paper and looked at it.

"First of all, this paper is about Paul," Jeff said, "and second of all, I thought it was just a maze."

Then Biscuit proceeded to walk Jeff through the steps of Paul's life, when he was blinded and when he was healed, the whole story.

I didn't get to hear the final outcome, so I'm not sure if Jeff was able to put the paper back in the trash or if he had to save it.

Needless to say, I had a conversation with Jeff this afternoon about how you go about getting rid of papers the boy has done.

"You take it to the big trashcans outside or you put it in the kitchen can underneath some other papers. We can't save them all, so I pick out the special ones," I told him. "But as far as he's concerned, we treasure them all!"

No comments: