Thursday, October 29, 2015

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:


Offering comfort: Biscuit has gone crazy for all things "Star Wars." I'll share more on this new craze later, but everything at our house is now intergalactic.

Although I'm really pretty tired of everything relating to those movies, Biscuit did come up with a really good analogy the other evening.

I was complaining to Jeff about feeling overwhelmed.

"It's just never-ending," I said. "It's like I accomplish one thing only to realize that there are 15 more things waiting in the wings."

I didn't realize that Biscuit was standing right behind me. And if you're not familiar with the "Star Wars" movies, let me tell you that the good guys are the Rebels and the bad guy (Darth Vader) has an army of soldiers called Storm Troopers.

So Biscuit reached up and patted my back very gently. 

"Mom, it's like when the Rebels fought with the Storm Troopers," Biscuit explained sincerely. "The Rebels took out a few of the Storm Troopers, but there were just more coming. And they took out a few more, but there were just more Storm Troopers. And they just kept coming and coming like it would never end."


I stared at Biscuit for a minute, and I was touched by his sweetness and surprised by his empathy and impressed by his analogy.

"You know," I said, "that's EXACTLY what it's like! Thanks, dude."


Good to go: Biscuit has seasonal allergies that can be quite bad at different times of the year. Sometimes you can just look at him and tell that he doesn't feel well or that his head is hurting.

A few days ago, he had a headache bad enough that he actually asked for medicine. And it was medicine that he hates the taste of. So I knew he wasn't well.


The next morning, Biscuit seemed to be feeling better. Jeff took him to school, and when he got back home, he was laughing.

"What did that boy say?" I asked. That's one of the few things that would have Jeff laughing that early in the day.

"The boy announced on the way to school that he had a headache yesterday and felt pretty bad," Jeff said. "But then he said, 'But today, I am fully functional.'"


Low-tech dining: I usually leave my phone on the desk when we have dinner, but this evening, I was in a texting conversation with my sister-in-law and one of my friends. I also took a call from a friend.

Dinner was on the table while all this was going on, but I didn't realize it was such a big deal until I put the phone down for good.

Biscuit got a look of attitude on his face and said, "Now that we're technology free ..." and then went right back to eating.

No comments: