Thursday, October 22, 2015

Big boy Biscuit

Biscuit was just full of gems this evening.

I picked him up at school, and asked him how his day went.

"Mom, this school has just taught me so much stuff that I just couldn't even explain it to you all at once," Biscuit said.

"I'm glad you love school," I told him. "I always loved school, too."

I told him we had to run a few errands, but if he would be patient and let me get my stuff done, we could look around for some things for his birthday party.

I have his invitations made and ready to go and had every intention of mailing them out today. But yesterday, we got an email invitation from Biscuit's best friend who had to move away at the end of school last year. His birthday is on Nov. 6, and Biscuit's is on Nov. 9, and as soon as I opened the email, my stomach sank. His friend's birthday was scheduled for the same day as his.

Biscuit was really disappointed because he hasn't seen his friend in a while.

"Mom," Biscuit said sheepishly, "is there any way we can have my party on a different day?"

"Yes," I said. "I haven't sent out the invitations, so I can just change the date to that Sunday instead of that Saturday."

"REALLY?!" Biscuit said. "That would be so cool, Mom."

I sent an email to his friend's mom, and she was excited about Biscuit being at the party.

She emailed back and wrote, "OMG. He is so sweet. Give him big hugs."

So we got a few things for his party, and while we were shopping, I was asking Biscuit about his day. I've learned that you can't say, "How was your day?" Because he'll say, "Fine." And that will be that. So now I ask him specific questions.

"What special did you have today?" I asked.

"We had guidance," Biscuit said.

"What did y'all talk about?" I asked.

"We talked about respect," Biscuit said. "We learned about put-ups and put-downs."

"What are those?" I asked.

"Well, put-downs are when you say things like, (and he scrunched up his nose) 'That shirt is just weird-looking.' And a put-up is when you say something like (and he got a big smile on his face), 'I really like that shirt.'"

"I think I like put-ups much better," I said.

"Me, too," he said. "I've already had three put-ups just today. My guided reading teacher said I was doing a great job. The assistant principal said she liked my red pants. And mom, you said that you were proud of me for getting a good color on the behavior chart today."

"Those sound like all good things," I said.

"Yep," he said. "You just never know what's going to pop up in first grade."

We got done with our errands, and I had a hankering for some fried rice to go with some chicken I had at home. I called in the order and drove over to the restaurant. I got a parking place right in front of the door.

"Hey, do you want to go in a get the food?" I asked Biscuit.

"Sure!" Biscuit said. I could tell her was excited.

I handed him the money, reminded him about what we had ordered, and he went marching into the restaurant. The takeout counter is right by the front door, and I could see him through the window. Even so, it felt weird having him do something like that. It just felt like he was such a grownup.

He came out of the restaurant grinning.

"Thank you so much for doing that," I said. "You did such a good job, you can keep the change."

"Thanks, Mom," he said. "I went in there and got the food and paid for it and came right back out. And guess what? Nobody snatched me up or anything!"

"That's right," I said. "Good job!"

No comments: