Monday, September 7, 2015

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:


Simple biology: "Mom, do women always born the babies?" Biscuit asked.

"Yes, women born the babies," I said. "Just women. Men can't have babies."

"Yes, they can, Mom," Biscuit said. "Men can be dads and have babies."

I realized that he was hung up on the word "have." "Have" to him means possession. So yes, in those terms, Dads CAN have babies.

"And mamas grow the babies in their bellies, right?" he asked.

OH NO!!! I knew what was coming next.

"So how do the babies get out of the mamas' bellies?" he asked.

"Well, the mamas go to the hospital, and the doctors help get the babies out," I said.

"But how?" Biscuit asked. "How do the doctors get the babies out? Do the doctors have to cut open your belly?"

At this point, I was thanking God for having to have an emergency c-section!

"Yes," I said. "When I went into the hospital, they took me into an operating room and cut my belly to get you out. But don't worry, I couldn't feel anything. It didn't hurt at all, I promise."

That seemed to satisfy him. I figure we've got plenty of time before we have to discuss the other way of "borning the babies."


Nothing to do: Poor Biscuit will play and play and play and then ... there's just nothing left to do.

Despite all the toys and books and DVDs and games and sporting goods he has at his ready, there is just nothing, NOTHING to do!

And sometimes he feels the need to explain how sad his predicament is. 

Like when he said this recently, "Mom, sometimes when I don't have anything to do, I just get overboard."


Gettin' good at grammar: Biscuit has been learning about punctuation marks. They started last year in kindergarten, and they're learning more about them this year, too.

When I asked Biscuit recently which punctuation he knew about, he was happy to tell me.

"Well, I know about periods and commas," he said. "But my favorite is excalation points because that means you're really excited."

No comments: