Monday, May 18, 2015

On with the show

Have you been waiting with bated breath to see Biscuit's chicken song?!

When I went to pick up Biscuit from afterschool care Thursday, I saw that they were setting up the chairs for the play. The front row was reserved, but the second row was wide open. So I dropped a couple of jackets into the two seats closest to the middle aisle and went on about my business. I felt a tiny bit bad because this was an hour and 45 minutes before the play even started. But hey, I figured it was first-come, first served.

We got Biscuit a snack and hung out for a while. And then it was time for him to become a chicken.

I got Biscuit dressed and took him to his classroom. The teacher had a cartoon show playing for them while they were waiting for all the kids to arrive. So I headed out to meet Jeff at our seats.

We had a still camera and a video camera. I wanted to record Biscuit's part of the show, but I also wanted to watch it. So I brought our tripod, thinking I could just put the video camera on it, start it and leave it alone. But of course it couldn't be that easy.

The seat on the front row in front of us was still empty as the lights went down. But very shortly, we realized that the seat was for the music director. So here's what Jeff and I saw the entire show.


The music director sat directly in front of me, blocking my
view of the stage and our view to shoot photos and videos.
Figures!

I was sitting in the aisle seat, so I put the video camera on the tripod, then just folded the legs shut like a monopod. Then I held it steady beside my leg in the aisle. And luckily for us, Biscuit's group sang on the right side of the stage, in the only spot on the stage that wasn't blocked for me.

Jeff, being taller, found opportunities to shoot still photos over and around the director. I was very happy with the pictures he got. (I like to think my anniversary present had something to do with that. Jeff bought me a cool new lens for my camera!)

As tired as we were of hearing the songs ... ALL the songs because Biscuit knew his songs PLUS all the songs the other classes were singing ... once they put it together with the hand motions and dancing and costumes, it really was well done and very, very cute. You could tell that they were all quite proud of themselves, too.

Here are some pictures of Biscuit and his fellow playmates and below that, a video of his song (And let me mention that there were three boys on the right side of the stage and three girls on the left side of the stage. One of the three girls took it upon herself to put her mouth on the microphone and do some of that awful yell-singing. And she didn't even stay with the music. You can hear her, especially about halfway through the song).


The story was about a bunny who didn't have any friends. She didn't
know how to make friends. So a wise owl taught her how to. She
made friends with chickens, cows, rats, squirrels, farmers and more.

Each class had its own song and included lyrics such as
"it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice."

Could they be any cuter?!

I think the pig class had it WAY easier than the other classes costume-wise.

He knows there's usually a camera pointed at him, so every so often,
we get home and find a picture of him staring straight down the lens!
It's so dang funny and completely creepy all at the same time!

He wasn't just a featured singer. He danced, too!
Look at that chicken go!!!




The end-of-the-song pose!


No comments: