Friday, May 29, 2015

Bye-bye baseball!

Well, we survived. What was supposed to be an 8-week baseball season turned into a 13-week marathon!

Tuesday night was the last game (yet another rain makeup), and as happy as I am for it to be done, I think I'll miss it some, too. By the end, the boys had made so many improvements to their game (that's what will happen when you get almost twice as much practice as you were supposed to get!).

The coach sent out an email last weekend suggesting we all go to a local frozen yogurt shop after the game. All but two of the players were able to go.

All the kids got their yogurt creations (how do they eat those gummy critters?!) and sat at a couple of big tables. By the time the parents filled in around them, there wasn't a seat left in the whole store!

The coach handed out the trophies and said something funny about each kid. When he got to Biscuit, he said, "To the guy who had the best-looking socks on the Red Sox team." And Biscuit grinned.

I'll never get to buy hair ribbons and earrings and cute little bracelets, so I decided that Biscuit would have every baseball outfit accessory available. So I got him the knee-length baseball pants, red knee-high socks and a red belt. He was as accessorized as I could make him.

The coach said some really nice things, then they started asking all the kids how old they are. I wondered why until I heard one of the other moms ask. 

"We might be able to get a bunch of these guys on the same team again next season," the assistant coach said.

It was a good group. There were a couple of them that I'd love to get ahold of OFF the field for a while, but for the most part, they were all good sports on the field and took instruction well.

As we were leaving, one of the moms came over to say goodbye. 

"Can I tell you something terrible?" she asked.

"Sure," I said to her.

She looked around to see if anyone was within ear shot and said, "This is the first team my son has played on where I actually enjoyed going to the games. I've really enjoyed getting to hang out with the other moms."

I laughed. "I was thinking the same thing," I said. "As a matter of fact, I said that very thing to Jeff last night!"

I don't think I have enough in common with the other moms to become besties or anything, but it would be nice if some of the kids were on the same team again next year.

Here are some pictures from the season celebration:


Chocolate yogurt and mini M&Ms, the same as always!

My boy is so camera-trained. I have a picture from every event this year where
he's looking straight down the barrel of the camera (or phone, as the case may be).

No comments: