Monday, November 24, 2014

Proud Mama

Biscuit had such a good piano practice yesterday. He was just in the zone. And I was so happy because it came after a practice earlier in the week that made both of us grumpy with each other.

As he was playing yesterday, I just kept thinking, "Man, I wish he could play exactly like this tomorrow at his lesson."

And guess what? He did!

He's learning Christmas songs right now, and for tonight's lesson, he worked on "Silent Night." He got the first part of the song without much problem. But on the part at the end where it says "Sleep in heavenly peace, sleep in heavenly peace," Biscuit had to pick up his right hand and move it up two notes AND play a flat (one of the black keys), something he hadn't done before.

This probably doesn't sound like a big deal, but it should've been pretty hard for a kid at his level, but Biscuit just didn't hesitate. He had no qualms about just jumping right into it.

There was one three-note phrase that I knew would be harder for him, so I brought him out of the song and just had him play those three notes over and over again. I remember my teacher telling me to do that just so your hand can get a feel for what it needs to be doing.

So he played those three notes over and over, at least 10 times. Then I said, "Stop!" And he did and looked at me. "Turn around and ask Dad if he's tired of hearing those three notes." And he laughed then asked Jeff.

"What three notes?" Jeff asked, sarcastically.

Biscuit just doesn't seem to have any doubts when he sits down. And I have no idea where that comes from because I've always been plagued with doubts. He just has this confidence about what he's doing, and I could not be prouder of him.

No comments: