Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Pancake nouveau

A post from The Daddy Man:

I picked up Biscuit from day care yesterday, and since we were on our own, I asked him what he wanted for dinner.

"Um, I think I'd like honey chicken, Dad," Biscuit said.

"We don't really have any honey chicken, boy," I said. "Is there something else you'd like?"

"Can we have pancakes but from a different pancake restaurant?" Biscuit asked.

"Yeah, we can do that," I said.

We're lucky enough to have several good diners near our house, so Biscuit and I headed to the one we haven't tried yet.

Biscuit and I walked in to find that all the booths were full.

"Where do you want to sit?" I asked him, thinking he would pick one of the tables.

"Let's sit in those chairs that spin around," Biscuit said. He was talking about the bar stools at the counter. They had backs on them, so I wasn't worried about Biscuit falling off his seat.

Biscuit said he wanted pancakes, of course, so I placed our order then took him to the bathroom to get his hands washed up. When we got back to our seats, there was a woman sitting next to Biscuit. I wondered how he would react to that, but in less than 20 seconds, he had struck up a conversation with her.

"I have a firetruck and a police car," he said to her. She talked to him about the cars and told him that she has a son who likes cars and trucks, too. Then he noticed that they both had red straws.

"My straw is red, and your straw is red. They match!" Biscuit said. "And my shirt is red, and the ketchup is red. Red is my favorite color."

The server brought our food. Biscuit's pancake was shaped like Mickey Mouse. He recognized it right away. "Dad! It's Mickey Mouse!" Biscuit said.

Biscuit cleaned his plate, then I had to take him back to the bathroom to get all the syrup off him. I told him he should tell the lady who sat beside us that he enjoyed talking to her.

As we walked out of the bathroom, Biscuit headed over to the lady. "Excuse me. It was nice talking to you," he said.

"It was nice talking to you, too," the woman said and smiled at him.

Biscuit and I rode around for a while after dinner. He asked if he could have fresh air, so I rolled down the windows. We took the long way home on some country roads, so Biscuit could feel the wind in his face.

"Where's my Mom?" Biscuit asked.

"She's having dinner with a friend," I told him.

"So she'll be home when she's done playing with her friend?" Biscuit asked.

"Yep," I said. "She'll be home later.

Instead of going in the front door like usual, Biscuit and I went through the fence into the backyard. We played baseball until it was too dark to see. He had to take turns swinging all three of his bats to hit the ball.

After it got dark, we picked up our stuff and went inside. Not five minutes later, Kimmy came home. Biscuit had to tell her all about our evening together.

It was a nice time with my boy.

No comments: