Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Out of the mouth of my babe

Some fun things Biscuit has been saying recently:


Toppings: "Mom, what is this called that's on my pizza?" Biscuit asked.

"Don't you remember?" I asked. "It's pepperoni." Biscuit had been calling it red cheese.

"I remember now," Biscuit said. "It's pepperoni. Not macaroni. Pepperoni."

"That's right," I said. "So what's on your pizza?"

"Um, I don't remember," Biscuit said.

"Is it fettuccine?" I asked, and Biscuit shook his head no. 

"Is it whatchamacallit?" I asked, and Biscuit shook his head no.

"Is it abracadabra?" I asked, and Biscuit's eyes got really big.

"MOM! Abracadabra will appear you something!" Biscuit said (a little too loudly for a restaurant). "When I have my magic stick and say 'abracadabra' it will appear something. Like a cow!"

'Cause what you really need in a pizza restaurant is a cow that was "appeared" by a magic stick.


Language: We were sitting at the table, and out of nowhere, Biscuit said, "Mom, I'm sorry I said 'farted.'" Then he immediately went back to eating.

First of all, Biscuit hadn't said 'farted.' Second of all, I'm not real sure why he would apologize for it without some sort of explanation. Third of all, is that really table-appropriate talk?

We completely ignored what he said, mainly for fear that he would latch on to that word and repeat it often.

I'll admit that I did put my hand over my mouth and giggle silently, though.


The name game: Biscuit is very interested in learning people's first, second and third names. He knows his own first, second and third names. He can spell "Griffin," and he knows what his other two names start with. So I guess the next step is to figure out that information about everybody else.

We were all sitting around the dining room table at my parents' house this past weekend, when I asked Biscuit, "What's my other name?"

"Your other name is Kim," Biscuit said.

"What Dad's other name?" I asked.

"Um, his name is Jeff," Biscuit said.

"What's Papa's other name?" I asked.

"Papa's other name is Jerry," Biscuit said.

"What's Grandmama's other name?" I asked.

Biscuit was stumped. He has no idea what Grandmama's other name is.

"Grandmama's other name is just Grandmama," Biscuit said.

"Grandmama's first and second names are Linda Marjorie," I said. "Can you say that?"

"Yep. Linda Marmorie," Biscuit said. And everybody had a good laugh. "Was that funny, Mom?"

"Yes, it was," I said.

"Being funny is a good thing because it makes people laugh," Biscuit said.

"That's right, baby," I said. "You made everybody happy, and that's a good thing."

No comments: