Sunday, June 3, 2012

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has been saying lately:


Rhyme time: Biscuit has been stuck on rhyming words for a little while now. As I was browsing the children's book section at the store the other day, I saw this book for early readers that focused on the short A sounds. It was about a fat cat who sat on a mat. It also mentions a rat, bat, hat and vat.

Biscuit can spell his name and dog and cat. So I figured he might enjoy seeing how rhymes work.

"This book has lots of rhyming words in it," I said to him. "Can you spell cat?"

"C-A-T," Biscuit said.

"That's right," I said. "These words that rhyme with cat look just like cat except that the first letter is different. See? What's the first letter of this word?"

"Um, that's an R, Mom," Biscuit said.

"That's right," I said. "What sound does R make?" And Biscuit made the R sound. "So if C-A-T is cat, then R-A-T is r-r-r- ..."

"RAT!" Biscuit yelled.

"That's right!" I said. We read through the book and worked out all the other words that look and sound like cat. 

After about half an hour of this, Biscuit smiled and said, "Mom, I'm pretty good at these words."

"Yes, you are!" I said to him. He was very proud.


Giddy-up caballo: Even though Biscuit is almost too big for his bouncy horse, he still rides him several times a week. As he was sitting on his horse tonight, he said he was getting ready for a race. He was wearing the helmet we got for his scooter, "because horse racers have to wear helmets."

"Mom, my horse speaks Spanish," Biscuit said.

"He does?" I asked. "So your horse is a caballo?"

"Yes," Biscuit said. "When you want my horse to go fast, you have to say 'rapido.' And when you want my horse to go really, really, really fast, you have to tell him to go 'mas rapido.'"

"How do you make him stop in Spanish?" I asked.

"You just say 'whoa', Mom," he said. 

I don't know how to make his horse stop in Spanish, but I'm pretty sure it isn't "whoa."


Really, really big: We went to an Italian restaurant for dinner tonight, and since my freakish child won't eat pasta, we got him a slice of pizza. The slices are pretty big. They're about the size of two slices I'd cut at home. Even so, Biscuit can usually do some serious damage to it.

Since the slices are so big, I cut half of it into bite-sized pieces. Biscuit ate all the bites, then I handed him the other piece. It looked huge in his little hands.

"Whoa!" Biscuit said. "This pizza is HUGE. It's the biggest pizza in the solar system. Jupiter is the biggest planet, and this pizza is bigger than Jupiter!"

"That's really big," I said to Biscuit.

"Mom, I'm so silly," Biscuit said. "Pizza doesn't belong in the solar system. But it's still big."

No comments: