Monday, June 4, 2012

Biscuit and me

Jeff had to go to a work thing tonight, so when I picked up Biscuit from day care, I thought he and I should have a date.

I got the boy some chicken nuggets and fries, and we headed to a local park. It's actually more garden than park, but they have picnic tables, and there are usually plenty of people and dogs wandering around.

We sat down at a picnic table, and I spread out our food. There were some really tall pine trees around us, and since they don't have low branches, we had a good view of people walking around. 

"Mom, look at these tall trees," Biscuit said. "They're so tall that you and me and Dad can't even climb them. We would have to get a helicopter to take us to the top of the trees."
 
We also had a straight-up view of the blue sky with big, white puffy clouds.

"Mom, can we look for shapes in the clouds?" Biscuit asked.

"Yeah," I said. "What do you see?"

"Look! There's a cowboy on a giraffe," Biscuit said. I can't say that I saw a cowboy on a giraffe, but I did see one that looked like a butterfly.

After we ate, I asked Biscuit if he wanted to walk around for a while. And boy did he take up on my offer.

We threw away our trash and headed to the closest sidewalk.

"Left or right?" I asked Biscuit.

He looked both ways then said, "Um, left. Definitely left."

We walked on that sidewalk until it forked. Biscuit stood at the fork and looked over his shoulder at me, as if to ask which way we should go.

"You're the leader," I said. "You pick which way we go."

Every time we got to a fork, I told him he could choose. He seemed to really enjoy getting to be in charge of where we were going. If he got too far ahead of me, I would either have to call him back or either he would stop, turn around and say, "Vamanos, Mom," which is Spanish for "let's go." 

At one point, Biscuit started to gallop on his imaginary horse. When he would get to a part of the sidewalk that was uneven, he'd stop and say, "Mom, say 'salta' so I can get over this ridge." "Salta" is Spanish for "jump."

After about 40 minutes of walking, I had to cut short his stint as navigator. My leg and foot problems were saying it was time to head for the car, and of course we were on the opposite side of the place from where the car was.

I saw a dog heading down the sidewalk that went toward our car. "Hey, you wanna follow that dog?" I asked.

"Ooo! A dog!" Biscuit said. "Let's go that way."

Success! We got back to the car and headed home.

Our date was spur of the moment, so I didn't have my camera, but here are a few pictures from the garden's website:




No comments: