Friday, July 30, 2010

This Week in Biscuit: The Collected Short Stories

Here are some things about Biscuit that have amused Jeff and me over the past couple of weeks.

Seet-sah:
Have I mentioned that my Biscuit baby loves him some pizza? I make my own chicken nuggets. I cut chicken breasts into small pieces, dip them in an egg, then shake them up in a zip-top bag with seasoned bread crumbs and some Parmesan cheese.

And it just so happens that the pan that I use to cook them on (a large rectangle baking pan) is also the pan I use to make homemade pizza. The chicken chunks were ready to go in the oven, so I slid the baking pan out of the drawer, just as Biscuit walked into the room.


“Seet-sah!” he yelled.


“No, baby. I’m making chicken nuggets.”


“Seet-sah!” he said.


“No. Chicken,” I explained.


“Chitten?” he asked.


“Yes. Chicken.”


“Oh,” he says and walks out of the room.


Luckily, he felt just fine about eating “chitten” when it came out of the oven!


Blue:
In Biscuit’s day care class, they have a color of the week. So he’s starting to notice colors more. One morning this week, Biscuit came out of our closet saying, “Blue, Mama. Blue.” And yes, what he was holding was definitely blue. My new blue bra. It’s a little unnerving to see a 20-month-old running around with a blue bra trailing behind him.

Shoes: This is probably a little more than you want to know about me, but one morning this week I was in the bathroom taking care of business, and I didn’t shut the door all the way. So SOMEbody (do I even need to name him?) decided that no bathroom trip would be complete without shoes.

So Biscuit went into my closet, dragged out an old blue flip-flop, yanked open the bathroom door and said, “Shoe. Shoe. Shoe, Mama.” I said, “Yep. That’s a shoe.” Then I had to put it on. I guess he thought I needed a matching pair because then he went back and got the other one, and I had to put it on, too.

Then a little later, as I was brushing my teeth (still wearing my old blue flip-flops), Biscuit picked out a different pair of flip-flops that I needed to wear. I told Jeff that it was like those divas who host the award shows, except instead of several costume changes during the show, I had several shoe changes as I was getting ready.


Going to his class:
I already know the answer to this question, but I’ll ask it anyway … Should I be happy that Biscuit jumped from my arms in the day care lobby and ran to his classroom and started knocking on the door to get in, or should I be sad that he didn’t even say goodbye?


Smart boy:
I said to Biscuit this morning, “You’re a smart little rascal.” He looked at me, smiled and said, “Thank you.” Wow. He’s smart AND polite? How did we do that?!?


Good ear:
I think we’re raising a “car guy.” Biscuit can already tell the difference in sound between a big truck, a motorcycle and regular-ol’ cars. When he’s sitting at the table to eat and a big truck goes down the road behind our house, he tell us that it was a truck. And when it’s a motorcycle, he says (or at least attempts to say) motorcycle. So far, he hasn’t been wrong.

Putting it all together:
Biscuit and I took a trip to Lowe's this week, and it was fun to hear his take on the store. First, we walked through the rows of refrigerators to get to the back of the store. Biscuit pointed at the fridges and went through his list of fridge-related items: "ju" (juice), "wa-wa" (water), "foot" (fruit).

Then as we were making our way around the store, my cell phone rang. Jeff assigned "Flight of the Valkyries" as the ringtone when he calls me. When the music started, Biscuit said, "Phone, Dada. Phone, Dada." He recognized the ringtone as being Jeff.

We made our way over to the aisle where the paint supplies are. As I was looking at the spray paint cans, Biscuit looked over and saw the fluffy paint roller refills. "Sheep, Mama. Sheep," he said. And by golly, it DID look like a sheep. So I said, "Yeah, sheep," and we made our way to the door.


Bye-bye wa-wa:
Remember the bye-bye wa-wa trick we use to get Biscuit out of the bath tub? Well, I guess curiosity got the best of him this week because as the water was making its way down the drain, Biscuit laid on his belly in the tub and put his eye right down at the drain to see where the water went.
Sometimes we're in a hurry to get things done, but I hope we'll remember to give Biscuit time to experience things. And I hope we'll give ourselves time to enjoy watching him do it.

No comments: