Thursday, December 31, 2009

A visit with The Big Man

We refer to Jeff as "The Daddy Man." But Biscuit recently had a visit with "The Big Man."

Yep. We went to see Santa Claus.
























Grandmama and Grandpapa Stacks were up for a visit from S.C. on the weekend we decided to go. The boys decided to skip our shopping trip and just meet us later for lunch a the Santa visit.

When I was looking for a Santa for Biscuit to see, several co-workers and friends told us where to go. This man has been helping Santa for 30 years. They all said he is really patient and really kind to the kids. Plus, you can take your own camera to take pictures. And that is what really convinced me. I knew I could get the exact pictures I wanted.

So imagine my dismay when we sat down for lunch and Jeff realized that he had forgotten the camera. The restaurant was about 15 minutes from home, so Jeff left lunch early and went to get the camera. We decided to go over to the shopping center and get in line for our visit.

Imagine our surprise when we got there and there were no other kids or families there. There was no line. Santa and his helpers were standing around just waiting on someone to show up.

They kept looking at us, I guess they were wondering what we were waiting for. So finally, I said, "We're waiting for my husband." Santa looked up and said, "Take your time. I'm just stretching my legs."

I started walking around and saw a sign that said, "No cameras allowed." Of course, for the first time in 30 years, they decided to get a contract with an online photo site.

So here we were waiting on Jeff to drive 15 minutes home to get the camera. Drive 15 minutes back. Park in the madhouse parking lot of a large shopping center. Make his way into the building where Santa was, only to have me tell him that we couldn't even use the camera.

I decided to use my cell phone and tell him about the no-camera sign while he was on his way back. That way, he'd have time to get over being mad at me before he got back to where we were.

Jeff finally made his way back to where we were. We took Biscuit up to where Santa was standing, and Santa started talking to him. I took Biscuit's hand and rubbed the white fur on the front of Santa's outfit. Biscuit just kept looking him up and down, checking out whether he wanted anything to do with him or not.

Finally, Santa went back to his chair and sat down. I took Biscuit over and put him on Santa's lap. Then Santa's helpers started snapping photos. Biscuit, a normally very smiley baby, did not crack a single smile in a single picture. He was tired and sleepy and ready to be home.

Finally, he just leaned his little head back against Santa's chest and stared at the ceiling. He had a look on his face like, "Would you people please hurry up so I can go to sleep?"

We decided that since we couldn't get a smile out of him, we'd choose the photo of Biscuit and Santa looking at each other.

Their visit must have been okay because Santa was certainly good to Biscuit on Christmas morning!

No comments: