Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Kitchen gadget

I have a lot of gadgets in my kitchen. I love them. But when it comes to small appliances, I'm not one for one-trick ponies. I like them to accomplish several tasks.

But I recently made an exception. I bought a quesadilla maker.

That's all it does — make quesadillas.

Quesadillas are one of Biscuit's favorite foods. And he doesn't care what's in them.

If we're at a Mexican restaurant, he'll get a quesadilla with black beans. But he doesn't want the beans as a side. He wants them inside the quesadilla. For some reason, that doesn't translate well. I guess since they don't have a black bean quesadilla on the menu, they just assume that the beans are the side. So most of the time, I end up prying his quesadilla apart and putting the beans in myself.

Mama got a quesadilla last Black Friday and said she's enjoyed hers. When we were down there last, she sent it home with me to try it out. And I love it. 

There are no knobs or buttons. You plug the thing in and wait for the green light to come one. At that point, it's ready to go.



You don't have to use any oil or butter. Just put one tortilla down, add your filling, put the other tortilla on top, close the lid and wait a few minutes.

When you take it out, the tortillas are crispy, and the cheese is stringy and gooey.

I've done Mexican cheese and black beans, Italian cheese and pepperonis and American cheese and ham. I've even made sweet ones with peanut butter and chocolate chips, cinnamon and sugar, and Nutella. Oooo! Now that I think about it, the Nutella would be good with either bananas or strawberries.

And don't tell Biscuit, but I've recently made the switch from regular pepperoni to turkey pepperoni. And he hasn't noticed.

It has little triangle wells, so when I add the filling, I try to get it in the triangle so they'll seal. 


Then you just cut on the lines. I use my pizza cutter.


When I make them for Biscuit's school lunch, I wrap them in tin foil and put them in a container. He says they're still warm at lunchtime.



His cheese and pepperoni quesadilla, a homemade chocolate chip cookie and some cinnamon applesauce.

It's nice to find something a little different for him to take for school lunches. I know he gets tired of sandwiches. Maybe I'll come up with some more good combinations.

No comments: