Thursday, October 18, 2018

Don't cry over spilled ...

A post from The Daddy Man:

Kimmy and a friend went to see a movie tonight, so the boy and I were on our own.

Bedtime rolls around, and he got the hiccups. So he asked if he could go downstairs for a spoonful of sugar to swallow.

Some say it helps the medicine go down, but it makes my hiccups go away. And the boy says it works for him, too. You have to swallow it dry without letting it dissolve. I don't know the exact science behind it, but it's something about changing your breathing pattern.

I was sitting quietly, waiting for him to come back upstairs. Suddenly, I hear "BOOM!" And I realized, it was plastic hitting the floor. You know, like a canister of sugar.

So I walked downstairs and rounded the corner and there he was, standing in a big pile of sugar. 

He looked at me in a panic and said, "How'd you know?"

"Dude! It sounded like a bomb went off down here," I said to him. There was probably a pound of sugar on the floor.

He said, "Um, what do we do?"

I said, "What do you mean?"

He said, "Well, do we get a bunch of water and try to mop it up with paper towels?"

I said, "Don't do that. It'll make an even bigger mess. Just get the broom and dustpan out of the closet."

I swept up most of it, and he got a smaller whisk broom and dustpan and tried to get the little bits that were left.

He had just gotten out of the shower before he came downstairs. But when he knocked the sugar down, sugar stuck to his bare feet. He was rubbing the bottom of his feet on his shins trying to get it off.

We got as much off as we could, and I sent him up to the shower again to rinse off the rest.

Before he walked back upstairs, he looked at me pitifully and asked, "Are you gonna tell Mom?"

"Don't you think she'll notice that most of her sugar is gone?" I asked him.

"Oh, yeah," he said.

"I'm gonna tell her, but don't worry about it," I told him. "It was an accident. You didn't do it on purpose. And we got it cleaned up."

I'm just glad I got down there when I did because I think he was trying to figure out a way to get it off the floor and back into the canister.

It was a sweet evening.

No comments: