Friday, July 13, 2018

Happy birthday to me!

Yesterday was my 50th birthday. I don't feel any older, and I think I've accomplished a lot in my half-century.

I was trying to think about how to celebrate, but everything seemed too expensive (a trip) or too time-consuming to plan with more work for me than I wanted to do (a party).

So I decided just to use some of my birthday money and buy myself a present.

And here it is.



My Daddy and brother play guitar, and when we visit or go on our annual trip together, we all sit around and sing while they play. Now, Biscuit is learning guitar, so I'm sure he'll be joining in the playing soon.

So I was trying to think if there was some instrument I could play to go along with them. The songs we sing are old hymns and old country songs. I thought about the instruments you hear in country and bluegrass bands. I don't like the mandolin, so that sent me toward the fiddle.

And then of course, I thought it was going to be too expensive. But I was really surprised to find that there are instrument companies who make very basic, beginner instruments. And they're quite affordable. This violin came with the case, two bows, rosin, a chin rest and a shoulder pad, and it was only $130.

Now don't get me wrong, $130 is a lot of money, but nowhere near what I thought I'd have to pay.

I also think it's good for Biscuit to see me learning something new and also struggling while I learn something new. The piano songs he's learning right now, I can sit down and just play them. And even though I've tried to explain to him that when I was at his level, I struggled just like he does. It's different for him to actually see that happening.

So I'm not ready for a concert yet, but maybe once I master "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star," I'll post a video!

No comments: