Sunday, July 15, 2018

Birthday party

We went down to my parents' house to get Biscuit last weekend, and while we were there, my family gave me a little surprise party.

My sister-in-law and I went to pick up pizza, and when we got back, I walked in the door to "SURPRISE!"


So I said what anyone would say, "Y'all people are crazy!"

It was a nice evening of family, food and fellowship.



And then there were presents.

My brother's family gave me a box wrapped in newspaper with five smaller presents inside. They were numbered in the order I should open them.

The first one was a candy box. A familiar candy box. Back in April, I poured the candy from the box to a zip-top bag, wrapped it separately, then filled the box with change that equaled $5.

So I got the box back. 

Inside it was a small package covered completely in duct tape. Once I finally got the duct tape off, a bunch of pennies spilled out. They all said, "Count them."

And there were 50.

The next package was a bag of nickels. They all said, "Count them."

Do you sense a theme here?

The next package was dimes. The next was quarters.

The next package was a lot lighter. Mama said, "Maybe it's a bag of dollars."

"Yeah, right," I said. We don't spend that kind of money on presents for each other.

So I opened the last package and found a zip-top bag of dog food.

"I am NOT counting dog food," I said. "Plus, there's way more than 50 pieces in there."

And as I've heard my brother said a thousand times (I should get him a T-shirt!), "I'd do it if I was you."

I counted out 50 pieces of dog food and found a little yellow sticky note rolled up really tightly. I unrolled it, and to my surprise, it had a $50 bill inside.

"Whoa!" I said. "This is too much!"

I looked at my brother and he just shrugged. That was the end of my argument!

Did I mention that the box was completely sealed with duct tape, too?

I finally had to get some scissors.


No comments: