Saturday, July 28, 2018

Biscuit is broken

Biscuit was at camp Thursday playing Terminator, a game sort of like dodge ball. He said he and another kid had formed an alliance and were looking out for each other.

Biscuit saw someone getting ready to throw a ball at his friend, so he yelled for his friend to run. So his friend ran. Right into Biscuit, who fell down with all his weight on his right wrist.

It was about 5 p.m. Thursday when they called. One of the counselors said he had fallen and hurt his wrist. But she said they gave him an ice pack, and he seemed to be doing okay.

I left as soon as they called, and when I picked him up, I asked if he was okay, and he said, yes.

I took him home wrapped his wrist, put some ice on it and elevated it.


He just chilled for the rest of the evening. Then I gave him ibuprofen before bed.

About 1 a.m., Biscuit stomped on his floor, which is directly above our room. So Jeff went up to check on him. Biscuit said he couldn't sleep, so Jeff sat with him for a while until he went back to sleep.

Then about 3 a.m., I woke up with some little monster hovering over me in my bed!

After I called my heart down, I asked him what was wrong. He was hurting and couldn't get comfortable. That's when I started to worry that it was worse than a simple playground injury.

I gave him more ibuprofen and get him comfortable on my side of the bed. About 5, I went into the living room and slept for a while on the couch. It wasn't too terribly long after that when Biscuit came into the living room. He was awake for the day.

I talked to him about his hand, and we decided to take him to an urgent care center.

I hate to say that money crossed my mind, but it's a couple hundred dollars just for us to walk into the emergency room, and that's before they even treat him!

But the urgent care near us is part of our primary care doctors' group. So we pay the same co-pay as we do for regular doctors' appointments.

We had to wait for a while. Biscuit had picked out a book to bring, so we ended up reading almost a whole chapter book before we got called back.

They did x-rays and told us that it was broken. I need to ask again because the whole day was such a whirlwind, but I think they said he had a clean break on the small bone (ulna) and a big crack in the bigger bone (radius). So there are two bones in your wrist, and he broke both of them.

They splinted his arm, and since it was late afternoon by that point, they sent us to an orthopedic urgent care. Biscuit misheard and thought they said we were going to an "ortho-penis" doctor. So we had a good laugh about that.



Don't let him fool you, this was a put-on face.

Biscuit's spirits have been high the whole time. He's frustrated and in pain, but he's being brave.

When he finished eating breakfast this morning, he got up and took his plate and cup to the kitchen sink, just like always. I told him he didn't have to do that, but he said he still wanted to do everything he could do.

We got to the ortho-penis doctor and had to wait some more.


We finally got into an office, where of course, we had to wait some more.

They were able to see the x-rays on their computer, so it was good not to have to have them done twice.

The doctor said that there was some swelling, but not a lot. But, he said kids often don't swell until the second or third day.

So they put Biscuit in a half-cast to allow for any swelling that might happen.

I've never broken a bone, so all of this was new to me.

He had two strips of what looked like cotton batting. He wet them, and they almost instantly started to get harder. He ran one along the top of Biscuit's arm and one along the bottom. Then he used two stretchy bandages to hold everything together.


He also has a sling. They want him to keep it elevated as much as possible.


Biscuit has been really brave about the whole thing. Now we just have to wait until Monday to see what's next.

No comments: