Thursday, March 1, 2018

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:


Tough tunes: Biscuit is practicing two songs to play at a couple of upcoming piano competitions. And as it should be, his songs are getting harder as he goes along.

He's working out of one of my old piano books right now — one that I played from when I had been taking lessons about a year and a half longer than he's been taking!

He played one of the songs really well the other day, and I told him so.

He pretended to be breathing hard.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

"My fingers really got a workout on that one," he said.


Good morning: Biscuit is somewhat of a morning person. Even if he hasn't had enough sleep, he's usually pretty good in the morning.

I asked him recently, "How do you wake up in such a good mood every morning?"

Ever the explainer, Biscuit said, "Well, Mom, I use all my senses."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well," he said, "I open my eyes and look around. Then I listen to see if it's raining or if I can hear birds. Then I use my sense of touch while I stretch, stretch, stretch. Then I brush my teeth and get the nasty taste out of my mouth. And when I go downstairs, I can smell whatever you're making me for breakfast. And then I use my taste again to eat my breakfast."

"That's a really good way to go about it," I said.

"It works for me," he said.


Animal learning: Biscuit loves animal books. And after he reads them, he has to tell us all about what he read. And he remembers it all!

He recently read a book about sea life, and of course, he told me that I needed to hear all about it.

"Mom," he said, "whale sharks suck." 

"They what?" I said to him.

"No," he said, "I don’t mean the figurative kind of suck. You know, the bad one. I mean they literally suck. They suck fish into their mouths. Those fish are propelled into the whale sharks' mouth. How cool is that?!"

"Pretty cool, dude," I said. "Pretty cool."

No comments: