Sunday, October 2, 2016

Things he likes

When Biscuit was little, he loved firefighters. Then he moved on to cowboys. Then he moved on to superheroes. If he had a brother or sister, he might be able to share his most current interests with him or her. But since he doesn't, I've learned lots and lots and lots about cowboys ... and firefighters ... and superheroes.










I actually miss the superheroes. I had learned where they all came from, what their powers were, what they looked like and more.

And then there was "Star Wars." Now, I have to say upfront that he's actually moved on from "Star Wars" to "Indiana Jones," but he still has a weakness for "Star Wars." And he's all about mixing characters from different movies, books, etc. into one big complicated world.

When I found out that the new "Star Wars" movie was going to be shown outside in a new park downtown, I knew that Biscuit and I would have to go. But I wanted it to be a surprise, so I didn't tell him.

They were encouraging people to dress up, and I knew Biscuit would be excited about that. And then I wondered if he would like it if I dressed up, too.

So I went into my closet and threw something together, then walked into the living room.

"Who am I?" I asked Biscuit.

Biscuit looked me up and down and said, "Ooo! You're Rey."

He guessed exactly who I was, so I told him what we were going to do the next night.

"Really?" Biscuit asked, his face lighting up. "Can I dress up, too?"

"Of course, you can," I told him.

I wanted to make sure that Biscuit was okay with me dressing up, too. If he said he didn't want me to, I wouldn't have. I mean, I was doing it for him in the first place, and I certainly didn't want to be one of those moms who tries to be younger than her age.

"Do you want me to dress up for the movie, too?" I asked him. "I just did it here at home to make you guess who I was."

"Yes, yes I do, Mom," Biscuit said. "You dress up like Rey, and I'll dress up like Han Solo. Because Han Solo was played by the same actor that plays Indiana Jones. So if I dress up like Han Solo, I can sort of be Indiana Jones, too."

Good Lord that child is single-minded!

So we got dressed up and went to see the movie. It was such a nice night. It was cool (especially for summer here!), and there was a breeze blowing. We stopped for takeout on the way, so we had some yummy food to eat, too.




Playing at the park before the movie.

Biscuit had been playing on the climbing equipment and got all disheveled.
I should've made him tuck his shirt back in because you can't see his
belt or holster. I was nervous about letting him bring a gun, even
a toy laser gun, so he put an action figure of Chewbacca, the Wookiee
that is Han's right-hand man, in the holster. Biscuit didn't want to wear
boots. He wanted to wear his stormtrooper slippes because he
said it looked like he was stomping on stormtroopers (the bad guys).

Rey (left) is from the newest movie, and this picture of Han Solos is from the first movie.

The area in front of the ropes was for people who were sitting on blankets. We
brought our comfy chairs, and we were on the front row with a really good view.

And there's no telling what we'll have to learn about next!

No comments: