Monday, October 17, 2016

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:


Defining words: We were watching TV this weekend, and on a nature segment, we saw whale sharks swimming on the screen.

I knew Biscuit would like seeing them, so I called him to get his attention. "Hey, check out the whale sharks on TV," I told him.

"Whale sharks suck," Biscuit said.

I was just about ready to tell him not to say things suck when he said, "But not the bad kind of suck. I mean the kind of suck that propels food into their mouths."

Whale sharks are "filter" feeders. They open their mouths
and swim and just take in whatever's in their path.

Sorting out the rules: In Biscuit's play world, a character can be one thing one day and something completely different the next. And sometimes animals can talk and act human-like, and sometimes they can't.

When he comes up with his adventures, he calls them games. So when Biscuit showed me an array of animals laid out on the couch and asked me which one I wanted to be during the game, I said, "Oooo. I want to be that dolphin."

Biscuit said okay and handed the dolphin to me.

He takes his games very seriously, so I always have to question him about the rules.

"So can my dolphin talk in this game?" I asked Biscuit.

"No, Mom, not in this game," Biscuit said. "The animals are fully committed to their animal behavior."

Glad we got that straight. 


Genetics: Biscuit was chatting with someone recently and as I walked up on their conversation, I heard him say, "Well, I look like my dad, but I have my mom's attitude." 

What in the world?! I have no idea if that was a compliment or not!

No comments: