Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:


Flowers for Mama: After the irises die back and before the day and trumpet lilies arrive, our yard doesn't have many blooms to speak of. But leave it to Biscuit to find some.

I think I now have vases to fit all the seasons of little-boy-flower-picking. 

I have the rectangle vase with multiple holes in it for daffodils. I use that one in late March-early April. Remember how I got it?



Then come the irises. I have three kinds that require a tall vase with a wider mouth. I have tea roses that he wants me to have in the house but doesn't pick because of the thorns. So he shows me which flower he wants, and I cut it and put it in a small bud vase.

I explained to him how I don't have many tulips, and I'd like to leave them in the yard. And I told him about how day lilies bloom during the day and close up at night, so we can just leave those in the yard, too.

But during that down time, when there aren't any real blooms in the yard, here's what I get ... 


I picked up this vase on an afternoon shopping trip with a friend. As soon as I saw it, I knew it would be perfect for just this kind of thing.

I see clover blooms, but Biscuit sees flowers for his Mama. So I'm glad I have the perfect way to show them off.



Hard questions: I've long said that the hardest part of being a parent is the little stuff. And this week, it's been the questions.

"Mom, what's trivia?" Biscuit asked.

"It's questions," I answered.

"Oh, I have lots of trivia," Biscuit said. "All the time, I ask you trivia, trivia, trivia."

"Well, it's different from regular questions," I said. "Trivia is usually stuff you already know the answer to, but you're trying to see if someone else has the answer. Like if you asked someone, 'Who was our tallest president?' You already know the answer to that question, right?"

"Yes," Biscuit said. "It's President Abraham Lincoln."

"But a regular question would be like you asking, 'Mom, whose the tallest president?' See the difference?" I asked him.

"I think so," Biscuit said. "That means I have a lot of questions AND a lot of trivia."

"Yep," I said. "You're right." 


He's Canadian now: Biscuit and I went into one of our local dollar stores to get some glow sticks and a couple of jigsaw puzzles for our family trip to the mountains. Now that Biscuit can read, he reads EVERYTHING! Signs, billboards, menus, anything he can get his hands on.

So I had to laugh when we walked into the store, and Biscuit stopped, looked up and said, "Summer fun, eh?"

No comments: