Sunday, June 28, 2015

Family trip, Part 2

You'd think by looking at the photo below that it took hours and hours for us to get to our mountain house. Really, it was only a little more than two hours from home. But somebody (and I'm not calling any names) was a little bit excited and didn't sleep well the night before we left. 

Biscuit loves his cousins, and the thought of spending the whole weekend with all of us in a house together was very exciting for him. It's funny because we've been doing these trips for years now, but this was the first year that Biscuit seemed really interested in how it all came together.

When I started looking for our rental house, he came over to my computer to watch the progress. He made comments about certain houses and asked questions about others.

So when we got to the house, it was like Biscuit had been there before. He had seen all the pictures on the rental website, and he knew where everything was. We had just arrived, but Biscuit was already at home.

This trip, more than previous ones, it seemed like everybody was interested in just relaxing and spending time together. I think sometimes we get caught up in all the things to do, but this year, we spent a lot of time just hanging out.

Within the neighborhood, there was a .9 mile trail that went to a little waterfall. So Friday morning, we decided to give it a shot.

It was a pretty walk, and everything was so green!

There were places that were a little steeper than I would've preferred, but it was a nice outing.

There were nice benches along
the way if you need to take a break.

People would kill to have ferns
this pretty on their front porches!

Everything was so pretty and green.

I think this is proof that I should've
been in the woods that day.

When the description said "small waterfall," I still pictured something a little larger than what we saw. It was pretty, but "waterfall" was a pretty generous word.

There was a really nice observation deck at the top of the waterfall.
It had nice benches and was completely in the shade. The only
problem was that you couldn't actually see the little waterfall from it!

Mr. Cool had to put on his sunglasses before I could take his picture.

King of the hill!

The water was crystal-clear, and yes, it
was just as cold as you'd think it would be.

It was a nice little adventure. And since we got all our exercise in that morning, we spent the rest of the day lying around the house.

We did work up the energy to go out to dinner. We found a locally owned restaurant that served a good variety of food. It had a '50s diner feeling, and the food was really good.

After dinner, we drove to the downtown area of the little town for a free outdoor concert. It was under the shelter that is usually used for the town's farmers market. They had chairs set up and were selling snacks and drinks. We were all stuffed from dinner, so we just wanted to enjoy the music.

At one point, my brother asked my sister-in-law to dance. And that inspired Jeff to ask me to dance.

And my brother being my brother, he leaned over to us and said, "Let's make these people remember us." Then he handed his wife to me, and he grabbed Jeff. My brother and Jeff were slow dancing, and my sister-in-law and I were slow dancing. Then we swapped again so I was dancing with my brother, and Jeff was dancing with my sister-in-law.

Then Mama came over to take pictures. But she got pulled onto the dance floor and swapped around between all of us. We were all giggling about it, and I glanced over to see some of the people in the audience basically pointing and laughing.

We may be silly, but we always have a good time!

No comments: