Wednesday, January 6, 2010

To drawl or not to drawl, that is the question ...

With Jeff from New York and me from Georgia and South Carolina, we spend a lot of time talking about accents and turns of phrase. And just when we feel like we've covered all the differences in the way we and our families talk, a new phrase or saying will pop up.

One example is that Jeff wears his old sneakers to mow the lawn. I wear my old tennis shoes to cut the grass. So we wonder what bits and pieces Biscuit will pick up from each of us.

So far, he says "Dada," "Mama," "bye," "hey" and "uh-oh."

This morning, as soon as I set him down from his bed, he started walking around saying, "Papa, Papa, Papa." That's how we refer to Grandpapa Stacks.

I called Grandmama and Grandpapa Stacks to let them hear what he was saying. Sadly, Papa wasn't home, but Grandmama heard him. I asked her if we could hang up, then I'd call back and let Biscuit say "Papa" on the answering machine. So of course, once the answering machine picked up, Biscuit started whining and wouldn't say anything.

Then this evening, when we got home from day care, Biscuit started attempting to say "ball." He's so funny trying to twist his mouth to copy what we're saying to him.

And if there was any doubt about whose accent he's going to have, check out this video ...

No comments: