Saturday, January 16, 2010

$3.65 on my debit card

I've been sneaking out of the house to get away from my boys.

Actually, it's not as sinister as it sounds.

I have found a great way to get to the grocery store by myself. For the past few Saturdays, when I wake up (usually about 6:30 ... on the weekend!), I brush my teeth, throw on a sweatsuit, tennis shoes and Jeff's Buccaneers jacket, and I sneak out of the house. Then I'm off to Harris Teeter.

I'm usually one of only a couple of customers in the store. They're putting our fresh produce and restocking shelves. Everybody is friendly and extra-helpful. And I don't have to maneuver around other people and their buggies. Plus, no lines at the check out.

On the way home this morning, I decided to get biscuits from McDonald's. I got an Egg McMuffin for Jeff and an egg biscuit for me (knowing I'd be sharing my biscuit with my Biscuit). I was also talking to Mama on my cell phone. Don't worry, I'm not one of the rude people who talks on the phone while I should be placing, paying for or picking up my order. I made Mama hang on.

The total for my bill was $3.65. I opened up my wallet to find $3.42. I thought I had a 10 dollar bill, but then I remembered how I spent it the day before. So I used my debit card at McDonald's for $3.65. Three dollars and sixty-five cents on my debit card!

I've really enjoyed my secret trips to the grocery store. It feels sneaky and like I'm getting away with something. But I think if I do it again next week, I'll check my wallet for cash before I get in line at McDonald's.

2 comments:

Janet Brindle Reddick said...

I maintain that I don't think that this is an odd thing. :)

Her Hollyness said...

i've mentioned that i once wrote a check -- WROTE A CHECK, back in the day b/f debit cards -- for $0.64, right?

feel better now? (: