Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Travel hangover

We have to count our lucky stars that Biscuit is a good traveler. Well, all except for the day after we return. We’ve come to call them “travel hangovers.”

The day after we get home from a trip, I almost hate to take him to day care because he is usually cranky and crabby and doesn’t eat or sleep well. I guess it’s something akin to baby jetlag!

When we travel, Biscuit sleeps in his pack and play. Remember when these were called playpens? I do. Because much to the chagrin of some of my younger mom friends, I STILL call it a playpen!
Anyway, his playpen has a bassinet insert with a mattress and sheets, so it’s a comfy set up for him.

I’ve always told my friends when they’ve moved that the first thing you do when you get to your new place is to set up your bed and get the sheets on it. That way, whenever you hit the wall and can’t do anything else, your bed is ready and waiting for you.

That’s sort of what I do for Biscuit, too.

As soon as we unload the car, I set up his playpen, so once he gets tired, he’s ready to go. But even though it’s his playpen, he still knows that his playpen is sitting in a room that isn’t home. And he never sleeps quite as well away from home as he does when his playpen is set up in familiar surroundings.

Plus, he’s just a nosy little rascal. He is very aware of his surroundings, so when we’re away from home, he really fights going to sleep. I think he’s afraid he might miss something!

I hope he continues to be a good traveler. With Grandmama Linda 2½ hours away and Grandma Janice 10 hours away, this boy will be spending a good part of his childhood in the car!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I call it a playpen too :) "Play yard" just doesn't sound right to me.

Her Hollyness said...

i wholeheartedly support "playpen" as the appropriate word for it, too -- "pack and play" is just baby-stuff-industryspeak!