Thursday, March 30, 2017

Word power

Biscuit is funny about words. He loves to try out new ones, especially if they're big.

And what's really funny is that he often uses new words correctly, but if you ask him to give you the definition, he can't put it into words. He's good at figuring out what words mean by the context in which they're used.

Biscuit was playing with his Legos and realized that one of the characters had two vehicles. And apparently, in whatever universe he was playing, that was a big no-no.

"Mom!" he yelled. And of course I thought something was wrong.

He came into the kitchen, and I asked him what he was yelling about.

"Oh, I'm fine, Mom," he said. "I just made a big realization."

"What's that?" I asked him.

"Well, I was playing with this guy and realized he has two vehicles," Biscuit said.

"And why is that a big deal?" I asked him.

And in that tone he uses when he thinks I should already know the answer, he said, "It's completely redundant!"

"What does redundant mean?" I asked him.

He looked around the room trying to think of how to offer a definition, but he couldn't.

I laughed, and he frowned at me. 

"Did I use it correctly?" he asked.

"Yes," I said. "I'm not laughing to make fun of you. I just think it's funny that you can use the word correctly but can't tell me the definition."

Once he realized that I wasn't picking at him, he laughed about it, too.

I just really like how he chooses his words.

When I was sick, I told Biscuit that he needed to keep his distance from me. I didn't want him to get it, too (although my efforts were for naught because he got sick anyway!). 

So he said, "So I can't hug you?"

"No, baby," I said. "I don't want you to get sick."

"And there won't be any snuggle time?" he asked.

Sometimes he crawls into my rocking chair with me to watch TV.

"Nope," I said. "No snuggle time, either."

"Mom," he said. "You don't understand. No hugs and no snuggles is just not a practicality!"

The next day, he started feeling bad and all bets were off!

So Biscuit clearly has quite the vocabulary, but we won't talk about whether he can spell any of his big words!

No comments: