Monday, May 20, 2013

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:



Either way, it sounds like fun: We were at my parents' house when my brother's birthday rolled around. We told him we'd do whatever he wanted to do on that day.

He made the plan and told us when we were leaving. As I was helping Biscuit get dressed, he asked where we were going. He didn't quite understand what I said.

"Did you say we were going to watch dragon racing?!" Biscuit asked with a very surprised look on his face. "I thought you said dragons were make believe."

"Dragons are make believe, baby," I told him. "We're going to watch DRAG racing."

"OH! DRAG racing," Biscuit said smiling.

Here are a few pictures from the races:





With his earplugs firmly in place, Biscuit enjoys a snack on the blanket.

This is only a test: Biscuit and I were watching a cartoon show where the characters were singing a song to remember the names of the planets.

Just to see how much he knows about the planets, I started asking him questions.

"Hey. What's the biggest planet?" I asked Biscuit.

"The biggest planet is Jupiter, Mom," Biscuit said. And there was no question in his voice. He said it like it was an absolute fact. Which it is, but I wasn't expecting him to be so sure about his answer.

"Which one has rings?" I asked him.

"Saturn has rings," Biscuit said.

"Which one do we live on?" I asked him.

"We live on Earth," Biscuit said.

"What color is Mars?" I asked him.

"Hmmm. I don't know that one, Mom," Biscuit said. "Can you tell me?"

"I'll give you a hint," I told him. "It's your favorite color."

"It's red?" Biscuit asked.

"Yep," I said. "It's red." Biscuit just smiled.

The next day, Biscuit and I were talking about dinosaurs. (Don't ask me how we got onto the topic of dinosaurs because with boys, a conversation about ANYthing can wind up being about dinosaurs!).

Back when I was a kid, we only knew about several dinosaurs -- T-rex, brontosaurus, pterodactyl, stegosaurus, etc. But Biscuit started naming off all the dinosaurs he knows, and I was having to look them up on the Internet to see if he was just making them up.

Imagine my surprise when I found out he wasn't!

He talked about deinoychus, triceratops, dromaeosaurus (this one has been Biscuit's favorite for a long, long time because he can run as fast as a horse), spinosaurus, diplodocus, brachiosaurus and corythosaurus. 

He said the names of these dinosaurs as easily as I can say "apple." I had a hard time trying to figure out how to spell them when I looked them up.

Who makes more money -- an astronaut or a paleontologist?

No comments: