Thursday, April 23, 2009

Lots of Mamas

I grew up in a small community where it was okay to call down rowdy kids, no matter who they actually belonged to. I've always felt like I grew up with 10 Mamas and 15 Grannies.

So I was really excited when Biscuit was able to get a taste of that on Easter Sunday. We went to the sunrise service at Mama's church. I didn't know if Biscuit would get too loud during the service, so Mama told me that when we got to church, we should bring him out to the fellowship building to hang out with her until the service was over. Mama is a member of the food committee, so she and several of my "other Mamas" were preparing breakfast for the church congregation.

In the past few years, the food committee members have realized that since sunrise service is so early, it's a lot easier for them just to order biscuits to serve for breakfast. The closest Bojangle's is about 20 minutes away from the church, so Mama and one of the other ladies drove over to pick up the biscuits. (The manager at Bojangle's said they had orders for 900 biscuits for Easter morning and that wasn't counting the customers who were coming in.)

So when Jeff, Biscuit and I arrived at church, we walked out to the fellowship building to find Mama, but she wasn't back yet. Two of the other ladies said a quick, "Hey, Kim," then immediately ignored me and started staring at and talking to Biscuit. (It's okay. I'm getting used to being ignored!)

I told them that Mama said to leave Biscuit with her, but I guess I would take him into the service with me since she wasn't back. They told me really fast that I was not taking him anywhere. I was trying to ask them if they wanted me to stay, but before I could even ask the question, they told me to just go away.

After the service, we all walked out for breakfast, and there was Biscuit, in the arms of one of my "other Mamas" surrounded by all the rest of them!

Jeff and I had a nice breakfast, and I had plenty of time to catch up with friends and people I hadn't seen for a while.

No comments: