Monday, November 5, 2018

Childhood memory

We always had a big garden growing up. 

Mama and Daddy would plant corn, okra, tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, green beans, several kinds of peas and more.

But they always left one row on the end for my brother and me. We would get to go to the feed and seed and pick something for our row.

We planted watermelons one year, pumpkins another year. But our favorite was Indian corn (aka flint corn or ornamental corn). We loved the bright colors of the kernels, and it was always a big reveal when it was ready to pick and we pulled back the husks. We never knew what the color combination would be.

I went to the farmers market with friends a couple of weeks ago. And I walked through a booth that had Indian corn. It was three ears for $5, and I decided that $5 wasn't a bad price to bring back a little of my childhood. And I wanted to show it to Biscuit and tell him about us growing it when we were his age.

I originally thought about doing some fancy arrangement with a big ribbon or something, but when I put them together, I realized that I just wanted to see if hanging on the porch, all by itself.

Isn't it pretty?


No comments: