Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently: 


Ah, Grasshopper: Biscuit's class learned how to order food in Spanish, so he was trying out his new words with our server one evening at dinner.

I don't remember what word he used, but Jeff said, "What did you say?"

Biscuit repeated it, and Jeff said, "I don't know that word."

And Biscuit replied, "Aha! The child has become the parent."

I think he meant the student has become the master, but he got his point across anyway.


Know the names: Biscuit started summer camp this week. On the ride home after his first day, I asked him the names of his group leaders.

"Um, I know one of them, but I don't know the others," he said.

"You need to find out and use their names when you talk to them," I told him. "It's important and respectful."

"I guess you're right," Biscuit said. "I mean, like at times when I experience harshness."

"What do you mean 'experience harshness,'" I asked him.

He said, "Well, you know, like if I fall down and get hurt, it wouldn't be that nice to yell out, 'Hey you! I need some help!' But if I knew their names, I could say, 'Excuse me, John, can you help me?'"

"Yes," I said, "it would be nice to call them by name if you should happen to 'experience harshness.'"


It ain't me: Biscuit, Jeff and I were in the car yesterday, and I was fussing at Jeff for something he had done or had not done - I don't really remember. But I had a headache and a thousand things to do, and everything was jumping up and down on my last nerve.

I felt this little hand pat my shoulder a couple of times, then Biscuit said, "Mom, I just want you to remember that I'm not the one annoying you. It's Dad. He's the one annoying you. I just want you to remember that I'm not in it."

"I know, baby," I said, "and I appreciate it."

No comments: