Monday, August 17, 2009

9-Month Doctor Visit

I can't believe that Biscuit is 9 months old already. I took him for his checkup last week.

He fell asleep on the way from day care to the doctor, so when we got to the office, I put him in his stroller and wheeled him inside. The receptionist and nurses ooh-ed and ahh-ed over him. And I said, "Yeah, he's cute when he's asleep." I've used that line before, and it's gotten good laughs. But apparently, the people at the doctor's office just aren't my audience.

We really like the pediatrician practice we choose. There are about 8 doctors, so on the few occasions we've had to get an appointment quickly (one ear infection, one shot reaction and one case of the croop), they've always worked us in with no problem and no complaints. We also like all the doctors we've seen so far, especially the primary care guy we chose for him.

Biscuit weighed in at 18 pounds and 8 ounces, and he's 27 1/2 inches long.

Then the questions started. Babies have their first checkup appointment usually a day or two after you get home from the hospital. Then at 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months and 1 year. So seeing as this was our sixth checkup appointment, you'd think I'd know the routine.

I did start getting him undressed as soon as we went back. You have to have them in a dry diaper for the weigh-in. But I always seem to forget about the questions. And they're the kinds of questions that always make you feel put on the spot. You know, like when someone asks your address or phone number when you didn't realize they were going to ask for your address or phone number.

They ask things like:

  1. How many hours does your baby sleep during the day?
  2. How many hours does he sleep at night?
  3. How often do you feed the baby?
  4. What do you feed the baby?
  5. How active is the baby?
  6. How is the baby's temperament?
  7. How many diapers does your baby go through a day (specify how many wet and how many messy)?
  8. How well does your baby control his or her head?
  9. Does your baby imitate your facial expressions and sounds?
  10. Does your baby put objects into his or her mouth?
  11. Does your baby attempt to roll over?
  12. Can your baby sit with support?
  13. Does your baby pull up into a standing position?
  14. Does your baby use individual fingers to pick up small objects?

And here are the answers:

  1. 2 or 3 hours in short naps
  2. Anywhere between 10 and 12 hours
  3. Three times a day plus a couple of snacks
  4. Three 8-ounce bottles of formula and about 6 or 7 jars of baby food a day
  5. He can crawl and sit up on his own, and he's starting to pull up on anything that will hold his weight. He jumps and jumps and jumps in his exer-saucer and loves to bang the daylights out of his toys.
  6. He's a lot like his dad ... slow to anger and pretty laid back. He usually only cries when he's hungry, tired or doesn't feel well.
  7. 8-10 wet ones and lately, 3-4 poos (His excrement works in increments.)
  8. Very well. Especially if you call his name or he hears a Biscuitville commercial on TV. He also responds to the word "no" so well that Jeff and I have to be careful not to use it too strongly in our conversations or upon hearing that word, he'll drop whatever he has in his hands and look at us for further instruction.
  9. He's starting to. He says "ba-ba-ba," "da-da-da" and "ma-ma-ma." Jeff told him that if he knew what was best, he'd go with the "ma-ma-ma" sound and say "mama" first.
  10. Everything he can get his little hands on except finger foods. I offer him Cheerios, small chunks of ripe fruit and those little baby puffs, but he has no interest in any of that yet. Because of his teething, he leaves little puddles of slobber and drool everywhere.
  11. His roll is more of a flip. And he deploys this move most often while you're attempting diaper changes.
  12. Yes. Although, sometimes he sits on a toy, which causes him to lose his balance and fall over. He doesn't like it when that happens.
  13. As of this week, yes. Although, he's quickly figuring out which things will hold his weight and which ones won't as he tries to pull up on assorted objects around the house.
  14. Not yet. He still uses The Claw to pick things up.

So even though I can sit right here and clearly answer every one of these questions, when the nurse or doctor ask them, I'm like a deer in the headlights.

It didn't help, either, that Jeff couldn't go to this appointment. He had a work commitment. But I sure could have used his help, with more than just answering the questions.

I had some forms to fill out about Biscuit's physical and mental development, and trying to write with my left hand while holding Biscuit in the crook of my right arm, plus trying to keep his eager little hands from grabbing the pen, plus trying to hold the clipboard in place with my elbow ...

I'm just saying, I could've used the help.

Anyway, I had written a list of questions for the doctor and put it in my pocket with my cell phone. But at some point when I answered my phone, I dropped my list. Of course I didn't realize it was gone until I was at the doctor's office. So in between filling out the forms and fending off my nosey little Biscuit, I called Jeff to see if he could help me remember all the questions.

The only paper I had was the forms I was filling out, and I knew I couldn't write on those. So I started making my list on the paper they use to cover the exam tables. When the doctor came in, he asked, "What questions do you have for me?"

I said, "Well, I had to use a corner of this fine tablecloth you have here. Sorry if I messed it up." He laughed and said, "That's part of the appointment, so it belongs to you. You can tear it off and take it home with you if you'd like."

We chatted about Biscuit's development, and he said he was impressed with Biscuit's curiosity and development. I could have told him that we have the best and smartest baby alive, so he wasn't telling me anything I didn't already know! Our doctor has three girls, so he said he'd be glad to take Biscuit off our hands anytime we wanted to hand him over.

But by far, the best part of the appointment was when I realized that I had lied to Biscuit ... but in a good way.

The director at day care said the health nurse had a question about Biscuit's immunization record. She said he was due for his third DPT shot. I thought he had had it already, but I figured I just had it mixed up with one of the other shots he's had.

Come to find out, the way his immunization record printed, it looked like he was due for another shot, but he was all caught up. So I had told him he was getting a shot and then he didn't have to.

I was glad about that, and I'm sure if Biscuit had understood any of our discussion about it, he'd have been glad, too.

So we have a healthy, happy, curious 9-month-old who is caught up on his shots and has some fans at the doctor's office (the doctor included). I hope Biscuit continues to be fascinated and amused by the whole process instead of being afraid to go. Here's hoping!

No comments: