Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Mi amigo and me

A post from The Daddy Man:

I was kind enough to share a stomach bug with Kimmy, so she worked from home today. She has a birthday coming up, so I decided to take Biscuit shopping. I figured we could get her a gift and give her more recuperation time at home.

There's a restaurant Biscuit has been asking to go to, but it isn't one of Kimmy's favorites. So when I picked him up from summer camp, we drove over and had dinner.

On the way over, Biscuit was telling me that part of the reason he wanted to go there was that he had learned a lot of Spanish recently, and he wanted to go try it out, He called me "amigo" all the way to the restaurant.

I thought I would help him out a little and said, "Dude, 'me gusta' means you like something, and 'no me gusta' means you don't."

"Dad, you know what me gusta?" Biscuit asked. "Me gusta black frijoles." (frijoles is beans)

"Do you know how to say that all in Spanish?" I asked. "In Spanish, they would be 'frijoles negros.'" (pronounced free-hole-ace nay-groes)

Biscuit was very excited to try it out.

The restaurant is a build-your-own burrito/quesadilla/taco place where you walk down the line as the employees add all your toppings. So Biscuit stepped up, and the petite, very blonde, very pale girl took his order.

"Can I please have a kids meal with a frijoles negros quesadilla?" Biscuit asked.

And she stared at him blankly.

The girl looked at me, and I told her that he wanted a quesadilla with black beans, and she got to work making it.

I guess Biscuit thinks that if you work at a Mexican restaurant, you're supposed to speak Spanish.

No comments: