Thursday, December 6, 2018

Winter Concert

Biscuit and his fellow fourth-graders put on a really nice holiday concert this evening.

He decided he wanted to dress up, so he picked some navy pants, a white shirt, a red and blue striped tie and a Santa hat. He looked really nice.


They did some fun songs with choreographed movements. The kids got to play air guitar at one point, and I wish I could've gotten a video of Biscuit. He was getting down!

Here's a little bit of the first song they did.


Biscuit had a small speaking role, and he did a really good job. He was actually the first one to talk.


It reminded me of a conversation I had a few years ago with his kindergarten teacher.

Each grade does a musical show of some kind each year. In the first grade, he had to dress up like a chicken. Remember that?

There were some speaking parts in that show, too. And the music teacher had asked Biscuit to be a speaker. I don't know if you remember, but Biscuit had a stutter that he grew out of by second grade. But in kindergarten, it was pretty bad.

I went in for a parent-teacher conference, and the teacher started laughing. "She had him listed for a speaking part, and all I could think about was him up there on that stage going, "Um, um, um, um, we, we, we are all fr- fr- friends."

And she was right. His stutter would get even worse if he was mad, nervous or upset. Can you imagine?!

So I was really proud of him tonight for being able to speak clearly and being brave enough to do it.

It was about 7:15 as we were leaving the school, so we stopped by a pizza place near the house for dinner.

These are my special boys.

When we got home, Biscuit had to go straight to the shower.

As he was heading upstairs, I said, "I'm proud of you. I think you did a really good job tonight."

Biscuit stopped, looked at me and grinned. "Thank you," he said. "I'll be here all night ... literally." And then he gave himself a rimshot. "Buh-dum-chhhh!"

That boy makes me smile every single day.

No comments: