Thursday, December 11, 2014

Star light, star bright

Biscuit had an epiphany as bright as a star last week.

As I was decorating our house for Christmas, Biscuit was coming behind me rediscovering all the treasures he had forgotten since last year. After I added some festive touches in his bedroom, he went in to check it out.

“Mom, can I play with this thing?” he asked.

“What thing?” I asked him.

“You know, this Jesus thing,” he said.

“You mean the Nativity set?” I asked.

“Nativity, that’s it,” he said. “I didn’t remember that word.”

Remember his Nativity set? The one where the cops showed up one night in 2011?



Biscuit started playing, and I headed to another room to add more decorations. Then a few minutes later, Griffin came bounding to the top of the stairs.

“Guys! I figured it out!” he yelled.

Jeff and I looked at each other, having no idea what he was talking about.

“What did you figure out?” I asked Biscuit.

“You see these guys?” he asked. He was holding three of the little figures from his Nativity set. “These guys are the kings!”

Biscuit's piano teacher got him a Christmas book. He’s been learning traditional carols, including “We Three Kings.”

“We three kings of Orient are,
Bearing gifts we traverse afar,
Field and fountain, moor and mountain,
Following yonder star.”

“The song is about three kings, and these guys are three kings!” Biscuit said, clearly pleased with his discovery.

He ran back to his room to play, and maybe two minutes went by before he was back at the top of the stairs.

”I figured out something else!” Griffin yelled. He was holding one of the Nativity set’s side panels - the Wise Men side with a desert scene and the night sky. 

Biscuit pointed at the large star in the middle of the panel and yelled to us, “THIS is yonder star! See it? It’s this one right here! I figured it out!”

Biscuit asks me what seems like a thousand questions every day. But on that day, he answered his own question.

No comments: