Sunday, April 21, 2013

Getting stuff done

About this time last weekend, I was mourning the fact that the weekend was gone, and I hadn't accomplished one single thing.

Well, other than a nap Sunday afternoon to get over a sinus headache. The nap did help my headache go away, and when I woke up, Jeff and Biscuit were walking in the front door with dinner.

This weekend was different.

First of all, I was determined to get something, ANYthing done. Secondly, we're going on vacation soon, and next weekend will be our last one before our trip. I'd like to spend that weekend getting ready for our trip without having to rush last minute.

Our bathroom remodel hit a snag a couple of weeks ago. It's all done except for the glass around the shower. Our contractor ordered the glass, but then he got an email saying the glass he ordered had been discontinued. I'm not sure why glass would be discontinued, but since everything else with the remodel has gone so well, I'm not complaining.

Jeff and I decided that we'd save some money and paint the bathroom ourselves, and this was the weekend. The problem was that because the workers cut all the tile inside the bathroom, everything in there was covered in a fine layer of dust. 

We got new hardware for the vanity, so I removed all 11 of the cabinet and drawer pulls. Then I got out the wood soap and scrubbed the big, long vanity.

As long as I was down there, I figured I'd clean out my cabinets under my sink. There were a lot of "Oh, yeah, I forgot about this" moments.

While I was sitting in the floor, I noticed that the baseboards were coated in dust, too. So I scrubbed those. Then I realized how dusty the floor was, so I used the Floor setting on the vacuum and cleaned it.

I was also doing several loads of laundry in and amongst the other things.

Jeff taped off the tile, cabinets and moldings in the bathroom yesterday evening, and we put on two coats of paint today. We went with a pretty green with just a hint of blue, called Watermark.

In retrospect, it doesn't sound like I had that many irons in the fire, but I didn't cut any corners, especially in the bathroom. It looks really nice in there.

So unlike about this time last weekend, I am tired and ready for bed. After having made some real accomplishments in our house. I even got the boy's approval.

"Mom, this all looks very, very nice," Biscuit told me.

No comments: