Sunday, August 10, 2014

Gettin' it done

My baby lost his first tooth this morning. And as most things tend to be with him, there was very little drama about the whole thing.

Before I tell you what happened, let me just say that I am so thankful every day that Biscuit was sent to me. I just love that child and everything about him (even when I want to shake him!). He's just so full of personality, and he's so intuitive, and he's so funny. And he's just so nonchalant about things. Even when you think he should be freaking out, he just takes care of business.

So here's what happened ...

Last night, Jeff and Biscuit were in the bathroom, and Biscuit had stripped down for his bath. All of a sudden, I heard Jeff and Biscuit both hollering for me. My first thought was that something had happened, and Biscuit was hurt.

They finally tracked me down, and Biscuit said, "LOOK!!!" And he opened his mouth and wiggled one of his bottom teeth.

I don't like wiggly teeth. My brothers children, sweet angels that they are, used to torture me by getting right in my face and wiggling their loose teeth. They thought it was the funniest thing that it freaked me out so much. It just gives me chills from my head to my toes!

I made a big fuss about Biscuit's loose tooth, and Jeff said, "You know he'll probably lose it at your Mom's house."

I planned a girls' long weekend from this coming Thursday to Sunday. And before we rented the condo, I told Jeff to check the dates. He said, "That should be fine."

We have a big golf tournament every August here, and Jeff spends basically an entire week writing stories about it. So just to double-check, I said, "When is the golf tournament?"

"It's the weekend before your trip," Jeff said.

Well, guess what? He was wrong. It's the SAME week as my girls' trip.

So I immediately called my sister-in-law and my mama. "Can the boy stay with y'all?"

And thank God for family, they both said yes. So Mama will have him the first week, and my brother and sister-in-law will have him the second part of the week.

So we drove Biscuit down there today, and my friend and I will stop by on the way home to pick him up Sunday afternoon.

I called Mama this morning to tell her about his tooth and to work out the details for what happens when you lose a tooth.

Biscuit walked into the room and saw me on the phone. "Um, excuse me. Mom, are you talking to the Tooth Fairy to tell her I'll be at Grandmama's when my tooth comes out?"

"No, baby, I'm talking to Grandmama to tell her about your tooth," I told him.

We had it all worked out.

Then Biscuit asked if he could have a sausage biscuit for breakfast. We stopped by and got one for him, and after he took the first bite, he said, "Mom, it hurts my tooth when I bite my biscuit."

"Just pinch it off," I said to Biscuit.

A few minutes went by before Biscuit said, "Here, Mom."

"What is it?" I asked.

"It's my tooth," he said matter of factly.

"What?!" I said. "It came out?!" I meant for him to pinch off the biscuit, but he pinched off his tooth!

"I pulled it out," Biscuit said. "It hurt a little bit, but I managed to get through it."

No drama, no big deal.

I turned around to put his tooth somewhere safe, and when I looked back, he was chowing down on his biscuit.

And that was that.

Here's my snaggle-tooth boy:


No comments: